Are you willing to stand up for your values? What if you knew it was going to cost you your job and put your family in financial hardships that you may not recover from? That’s just part of the story Hans Hageman shares with you today. Paying it forward and Standing up for others is a large part of who we are at Men of Abundance.
Hans Hageman is an irreverent and maverick leader who has impacted lives around the world. Hans grew up in Harlem, NY. He was raised at Exodus House, a pioneering residential drug treatment center started by his father. His parents were his first teachers in the importance of service to others.
He went on to attend Princeton University and Columbia University School of Law. His law practice included work as a prosecutor, chief counsel to a U.S. Senate subcommittee, and as a defense attorney.
In the ‘90’s he shifted his mission to working with under-served children. This led to the creation of the East Harlem School at Exodus House. His work there was honored with an Essence Magazine award and The Robin Hood Foundation Heroes Award, among others. It also brought him national media coverage from CNN, The New York Times, People Magazine, and all the major television networks.
Hans went on to found two more schools. One that worked with teens who had left the public school system, and another in India that educates poor Hindu and Muslim girls. During this time, he also worked as a consultant with the Baltimore Police Department where he created programs in leadership and communication skills.
He most recently took on the challenge to serve as interim executive director for Jitegemee, Inc., a program that works with homeless children in Kenya. His term ended in June 2015.
Hans is a Master Practitioner of NLP, a Reiki master, trained as an Ashtanga Yoga teacher under David Swenson, and the holder of multiple coaching certifications.
He is now using all of these experiences to inform his work as a small business consultant. He works with startups, creatives, and businesses that support the Three P’s of People, Planet, and Profit.
Get in on the conversation in our Men of Abundance Community
You can Time Travel… well kinda. Click on the timestamps below to travel directly to that part of the show.
Action Steps [32:33]
- Determine what your top three values are…
- Take responsibility for everything that happens in your life.
- Answer the questions… Is what I’m doing right leading to a richer and more meaningful life?
Daily Habits [34:57]
- 16 oz of cold water with pinch of sea salt first thing in the morning.
- Writing three things that I’m grateful for.
- Get moving
Recommended books [36:15]
- The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness – Jeff Olson
- We’re All Doing Time: A Guide to Getting Free – Bo Losaff
- Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work – Steven Pressfield
- Meditations – Marcus Aurelius
What does Living A Life of Abundance mean to Hans Hageman? [39:34]
- Having the discipline to live by your values
- Finding our natural state of joy and being a service to others.
Parting piece of guidance and Connect with our guest [40:00]
- Work on self acceptance more so than self esteem.
- What’s the one thing I can do right now to make this situation better.
Contact our guest [41:25]
Free Gift from Hans Hageman
What others are saying about Men of Abundance?
- Great discussionsSeptember 14, 2017 by bdizzlefizzle from United States
I love this show. Wally has amazing energy and really knows how to engage with his interviewees and audience. He gets some great guests who talk about life-changing ideas that can help you push yourself forward. He's a really genuine person and host, and it shows. That creates such a good show. Thanks, Wally - keep putting out such great content!
- Wally Is Naturally CuriousSeptember 4, 2017 by Scott Beebe from United States
It takes loads of work, planning, diligence and thoughtfulness to start and lead a podcast that serves the rest of us. Really proud of what Wally is building, and how he is forcing us to reconsider our mindset towards abundance!
- Inspiring storiesAugust 16, 2017 by David C Barnett from Canada
Everyone can make a turnaround and get the most out of life. Just listen to a few episodes.
- A journey of reflection, humor and poignancyAugust 8, 2017 by The Moyle from United States
Wally takes his Men of Abundance listeners on a journey of reflection, humor and poignancy with his interviews. I love to listen to them, so I was humbled and excited to have the opportunity to talk with this great guy. It's not just another leadership podcast - it's an adventure in humanity. I love the "gut check moment" discussions. Men of Abundance is a must-listen for anyone who takes leadership and the stewardship of others to heart.
- Awesome show even for Women!July 29, 2017 by teresamccloy from United States
This is a great show with great topics about living an abundant life! Don't overlook this one girls - great learning, great flow, lots of deep insight!
- A breath of fresh airJuly 24, 2017 by Julian Hayes II from United States
Recently stumbled upon the MOA podcast & I'm glad I did. It's great to have a show that empowers men to excel at all facets of life & this is further cemented by the diverse cast of guests. Looking forward to seeing this show grow in the future.
- A+PodcastJuly 7, 2017 by Gisele_Oliveira from United States
Love this show! Really enjoy listening the interviews. Awesome topics and really inspires and motivates me. Keep it up!
- Game changing dadsMay 28, 2017 by Razor9494 from United States
What an incredible show, I was grateful to be interviewed and what a tremendous and professional environment. Absolutely love what you're doing Wally, keep up the great work! Wishing you an awesome successful future!! thank you, Ray Matz
- About timeMay 16, 2017 by GBF777 from United States
So glad that you are doing this podcast. It is and avenue to all men so they can find the pass on their journey to success. Thanks again for the time that you put into this.
- Awesome MissionApril 10, 2017 by Nicole Holland @ BBRShow.com from Canada
So glad that Wally is out there sharing these powerful stories. Truly a world changer!
- Great podcast for anyone looking to better their lifeFebruary 20, 2017 by Joewest9929 from United States
Thanks for everything you are doing with this podcast. You have made me into a huge fan. I am working for a sales company so I spend a lot of time driving and your episodes keep me going and have inspired me to look at some other options in my life and ways to improve. I am in the process right now of starting my own real estate investing business. Your guests and you have inspired me to take advantage of my experiences and turning that into an opportunity where I can live what I consider a life of abundance. Keep up the good work and I hope the men of abundance community keeps growing. Thanks.
- New listenerDecember 3, 2016 by sadmustang from United States
I'm a new listener to "Men of Abundance" and really enjoyed your interviews with Charlie Jewett and Angus Nelson. Thanks Wally! Best --Scott
- Great Podcast..November 21, 2016 by Lawyer Funder from Canada
I did not see my kids for many years have them full time now. This podcast is great for staying positive. Keep rocking it.
- Love the IdeaNovember 6, 2016 by cheesemanco from United States
Great community. People helping people. Love it!!
- A great podcast for paying it forwardNovember 5, 2016 by Sweeneymcman from United States
Three days a week! The quality and frequency of this podcast makes it a wonderful addition to my listening week.
- Great storiesNovember 4, 2016 by Peg writer from United Kingdom
Real people showing real people what's possible. Good job.
- Looking forward to moreOctober 23, 2016 by jinki1 from United States
I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. Upon first look and the first few listens, I may have just stumbled onto a great resource!
- such abundanceOctober 22, 2016 by Sheena Yap Chan from Canada
love the stories you have on the podcast and how they are able to turn tragedy into something positive. keep it up
- Uplifting and inspirationalOctober 12, 2016 by msfhammond from Australia
I continually feel inspired when I listen to Men of Abundance. Wall is generous with his advice, kind with his words and supportive of everyone around him. Listening to his podcast reminds me what it means to be a good person and makes me strive to be the best I can be. Thanks, Wally...Melinda, Writer on the Road
- Extmely relevant and packed with wisdom.October 9, 2016 by jarrod_warren from United States
I absolutely love what Wally is doing with his show. This is a must listen for any guy seeking to become sharpened, seeking growth in many areas of life, and seeking weekly wisdom from men who have created their own success and learned life lessons, which we can all learn from as well. I have seen many podcasts come and go, but Wally has tapped into a way to bring us awesome content, and his is one of the top on my list. Tune in!
- Great stuffOctober 2, 2016 by SeeetC313 from United States
I love Wally's perspective will definitely be Rubin in weekly.
- Great Focus!September 25, 2016 by AlfHerigstad from United States
Great focus for a show, fantastic guests as well. Just listened to the Aaron Walker episode...it was raining value nuggets. Keep up the great work. ~ Alf Herigstad
- Great work!September 24, 2016 by morgan.robinson from United States
So happy to hear men are getting together and really being thankful and having an attitute of gratitude! It's so nice to hear these encouraging words!
- Bravo to Men of AbundanceSeptember 22, 2016 by tony200= from United States
Wally Carmichael is an excellent host on his Men of Abundance podcast. I found the show not only very entertaining, but highly informative with some hard life lessons learned by his guest that I can learn from. The takeaways were very good. Great information. This is the kind of podcast that helps us in our day to day entrepreneur world and I am so glad to have this each week.
- Informative, fast paced, great interviewsSeptember 19, 2016 by Kingsley - Hope Dispenser from United States
I have enjoyed listening to this show with Wally. I love the content, his objectives and the enthusiasm displayed in the approach to interviewing his guests. I have listened to a number of episodes and have always come away with something of value. As the host of the Success Caribbean Style podcast, I know what it is takes to put together a show period much less a great one. Wally gets it. Great show ~ @kingsleygrant
- Practical. Inspirational. Honest.September 19, 2016 by JeffKorhan from United States
Real stories and life lessons from people that have lived them. I stopped by to check it out on a recommendation and couldn't stop listening! You'll enjoy this show too.
- Inspiring storiesSeptember 18, 2016 by thuysf from United States
Even if this show is for men, I'm glad that I discovered this podcast so that I can share it to my audience. It is such a refreshing place to remind everybody to be grateful everyday for the life we have.
- Brother of Abundance!September 18, 2016 by Uncle Tanner from United States
So grateful Wally is passing down and forward his knowledge, experience, and value to his audience… That's us! So join us right now and subscribe
- InspirationalSeptember 16, 2016 by Duffash from United States
Positive mindset, wisdom and great interviews all rolled into one motivational package.
- Love this!September 16, 2016 by David Westerman from United States
I love the energy of this podcast and look forward to hearing more 🙂
- Great ShowSeptember 2, 2016 by namtrok from United States
I don't know how Wally does it, 3x a week. These are great stories and indeed the Pay it forward concept is awesome! Thanks Wally!
- AwesomeAugust 15, 2016 by Andie1817 from United States
I know this is for men, but Wally is my neighbor and I promised to listen to it. Really enjoy these. Very motivating and inspiring. Can't wait to hear more!
- Show For MenAugust 12, 2016 by worldtraveler71 from United States
I never thought I would see the day that a show would come out in any form of media that is designed and targed at men. I am glad that someone was able to step and out and due a show like this. Women may have Oprah but guys have Wally.
- Inspirational show! check it out!July 23, 2016 by Jimwj from United States
I love the topics that Wally touches upon. This show will make you want to be a better person! It did me!
- Wonderful topic!July 22, 2016 by Exit Coach from United States
Love this concept, excellent for daily motivation
- Fantastic! And necessary!July 22, 2016 by Mary-Jo Dionne from Canada
So thrilled to see content of this nature in the podsphere. NICE! And necessary!
- Love it!July 16, 2016 by McCaskill89 from United States
What Wally is doing is remarkable. To have a podcast dedicated to the wellbeing and honor of men who refused to follow the standard path is breath taking. Keep doing what you're doing Wally!
- Great show! Keep it coming!July 11, 2016 by Thomas O'Grady, PhD from United States
Such a great podcast and I enjoyed hearing the guest's perspective. Really looking forward to listen to more episode.
- Great start!July 10, 2016 by James Kane from United States
I like what I've heard and where this podcast is going, great job Wally! I'm always looking for sources of inspiration and this is clearly one of the best. Real men, real stories. I love it!!
- Great job Wally!July 9, 2016 by Vidal C. from United States
I'm excited for your show and can't wait to hear more! Congrats Wally!
- How could you go wrong?July 9, 2016 by HeavyDriver from United States
I'm all about perspective, mindset, and abundance. The hard part is maintaining it through life's lessons. I love how this podcast helps me do just that. It's useful through the good and the bad and will keep me honest. Thanks Wally for stepping up and hosting such an influential show.
- Great startJuly 8, 2016 by M_Glover_88 from United Kingdom
Great start to the show, Wally. Love your energy and commitment. Great episodes so far and looking forward to hearing more!
- Great new show!July 8, 2016 by M.C Laubscher from United States
Fantastic new podcast for people that want to change their mindset and learn actionable and applicable knowledge and skills to live a life of abundance!
- Love this podcast!!July 8, 2016 by JustinWilliams46 from United States
I’m a big believer in giving back and so I’m loving this podcast! The interviews are great and it inspires me to do and be better!
- Love the community of abundanceJuly 8, 2016 by RecoverySquared from United States
Wally, Thank you for creating this culture and community. I love the idea of a community of people who live an abundance lifestyle. Keep up the great work and you gained a subscriber!!!
- Deep topics!July 8, 2016 by jesse@lifestyleconversations from United States
Men of abundance is a must for men!
- Great new podcastJuly 8, 2016 by ‘Chelle McQuaid from United States
Really enjoyed these first episodes! Great stories. Can’t wait to hear more.
- Great initial startJuly 7, 2016 by JohnnySteelballs from United States
This is a great initial start for this podcast. The intro and outro are well done and I think they really set the tone for the future of this podcast. Great interviews with Vidal Cisneros and Patrick Snow, both very accomplished men who inspire those who listen to this. Would love to see some Q&A from MoA members. This could be put out in advance before the show is casted so that Wally can get that Q&A from the anticipated guest. I will review again in the future as I watch this podcast progress.
Is this your Side Hustle?
Just Two Weeks Remaining for the Free Launch Test Drive. (as of 7 Aug 2016)
We are built around technology. We have the systems and tools that make this business simple and powerful. Find out how to leverage your social network while traveling the world and having fun. In fact, you can build it from anywhere, with just a smart phone. And we will show you exactly what to do…. Watch This Video
- Shakeology, Dense nutrition shake. Shakeology makes nutrition simple. And with 70+ ingredients and superfoods, it is the Healthiest Meal of the Day. “My family and I have been drinking Shakeology daily for the last 5 years. Even my six year old has been drinking it since he was two.” ~ Wally
Be Abundant in everything you do….
Starting with sharing this episode and our Men of Abundance Community with others. Click on any of the social media links.