When it comes to addition, most think of illicit drugs, alcohol, or even pain medications. It's rare our society would look at a fast food addition as a real addiction. I certainly never considered it. Until I heard David McClain's story. But David and I don't just talk about fast food addition, weight loss and healthy eating. We talk about having the courage to tell your story to help others. We even talk about the behind the scenes of the reality show, chopped. He's got a personal inside scoop on the show.
Dave has spent most of his adult life battling a fast food addiction that nearly cost him his life. After a doctor told him he would be lucky to reach his 30th birthday, Dave decided something had to change, so on New Year's Day, 2013, Dave gave up fast food, and a few months later began the workout program that would change his life forever; Insanity.
Since that time Dave lost over 150 pounds and has taken on a new life mission of helping others overcome the mental blocks that hold them back.To date, Dave has worked with hundreds of people to conquer their self-doubt and self-sabotage all while working to better himself, and continue his own journey to good health. Dave describes what he does as "forging a life changing journey, and doing everything possible to ensure it's not a selfish one."
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click a time stamp below to time travel directly to that point in the conversation.)
[spp-timestamp time="3:20"] So, where are you at in the World?
- I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia.
[spp-timestamp time="4:00"] Attitude of Gratitude
- I am grateful for a lot.
- I woke and did not have the burden of health hanging over my head.
- Now I can use my time to help others.
[spp-timestamp time="5:18"] How did you feel before the doctor told you you were not going to make 30 years of age?
[spp-timestamp time="9:30"] The costs of being addicted to Fast Food.
[spp-timestamp time="10:30"] Kick in the Gut Moment
- The Doctor visit that tipped the scales. This blew my mind.
[spp-timestamp time="16:08"] Enough is Enough Moment
- How did Insanity and this guy named Shaun T come into David's life?
[spp-timestamp time="17:50"] Shaun T's Birthday Challenge, tricked David for the Health of it.
[spp-timestamp time="24:44"] The power of a Significant Emotional Event (SEE)?
[spp-timestamp time="35:42"] Lindsey McClain, owns chopped. And we get a behind the scenes Chopped story.
Paying it Forward
[spp-timestamp time="45:54"] Action Steps you can take today.
- Tell your story. And be really really honest with your story.
- Get a partner like a coach or mentor who will be honest with you.
- Ten thousand reps. It takes ten thousand reps to become the expert.
[spp-timestamp time="53:50"] What daily habits make the biggest impact in your life?
- Making a habit of having Habits.
- Waking up an hour before I should and waking up to a cup of bullet proof coffee.
- Schedule things out.
[spp-timestamp time="57:22"] What are you reading or listening to right now and why?
- Man 2.0 Engenering the Alpha by John Romaniello and Adam Bornstein.
Start your 30 day Audible trial and get Your Free Book
[spp-timestamp time="59:45"] What does Living A Life of Abundance mean to you?
- Living a life of abundance is the feeling I get when I know what I did yesterday was enough for me to wake up today and feel good about myself.
[spp-timestamp time="37:35"] Parting piece of guidance
Connect with our Feature Guest
Wally's Take Away:
There was so much shared in this conversation between David and I. A few things I take away from this one is everyone has different reasons for making change in their life. Some changes do happen by chance.
The fact is, you may be aware of a few changes you need to make in your life, in your routine. You need to replace bad habits with good habits. But how do you do that?
- Make the decision
- Tell yourself why you want the change. Seriously. Talk to yourself. Ask yourself "What will this new habit do for my life, relationship, health, income etc.?
- Put the new habit on the calendar. Make it a daily event.
- Get a mentor, coach, friend. Someone who is not intimidated by you. Someone who will tell you the hard truth. Someone who will hold you accountable, encourage you and not give up you.
- Report back to Men of Abundance right away so we can hold you accountable. .
Sponsors and Affiliates (Helping me keep the mic on.)
"My family and I have been drinking Shakeology daily for the last 5 years. Even my six year old has been drinking it since he was two." ~ Wally
Click Here! To watch a short personal video I recorded with my little guy about our experience.
Unlock the world's most powerful, life-changing fitness tools when you join the Team Beachbody Club. Get 24/7 digital streaming access to hundreds of world-class workouts via Beachbody® On Demand, exclusive discounts on Team Beachbody products, personalized meal plans, and one-on-one support from your very own Coach. Everything that helps Club members hit their health goals up to 2 times faster than those who don't join!
As a Premium Club member, you'll have access to Beachbody On Demand for the next 30 days—absolutely FREE!